That’s what yesterday was all about!
I spent the morning on a bug hunt with one of our Nursery rooms. 30 children excitedly crawled around under bushes, peered under logs and squealed in delight (most of the time) as they discoved ‘bugs’. We enjoyed using Google earth to track our finds, video and a digital camera to catch the action, and sound to record our findings.
Children loved the experience and i was amazed at the indepth knowledge of some and the complete lack of previous experience of others. My digital natives did not need to be show how to use the camera, although the video recorders red button did beckon a few (causing them not to video!)
And so what did I learn?
- never assume anything. The previous experience of minibeasts varied greatly
- to think about the vast amount of digital information children can create in a short time! Next time I will limit this more
- that I do not need to spend time treaching the technology to the children, much better to spend the time discussing why I am using it and the benefits..
- that if you do bugs with four year olds, at least one will smile at you and tell their mummy you are the bug lady!
- Nothing can quite match the enthusiasm of a four year old.